You have a cart for trash and a cart for recyclables, but what should you do with household hazardous materials? And what is a household hazardous material?
Cabarrus County wants residents to know about materials that should never end up in trash or recycling bins. These include nail polish, oven cleaner, paint, pesticides, bathroom and kitchen cleaners, fluorescent bulbs, brake fluid, gas and other chemicals.
Instead, take them to the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 246 General Services Drive in Concord (off Hwy 49 near Hwy 601). The facility provides a safe place to dispose of materials that can hurt the environment and damage the health of humans and animals when handled improperly.
In addition to hazardous materials, the facility accepts recycling, TVs and other electronics and batteries. Residents can also make an appointment to browse the paint room and take paint cans at no charge.
The Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. However, household hazardous materials are ONLY accepted on the first Wednesday of each month from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and third Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The next collection day is Saturday, February 16.
Sorting made easy with CARTology
Get quick access to sorting questions with CARTology, an online, app-based resource offered by Cabarrus County, Concord and Kannapolis. CARTology features a Waste Wizard, which provides information on how materials can be reused, recycled, composted or disposed of in the community. Users in Concord, Kannapolis and unincorporated areas of Cabarrus County can also use the tool to access their household’s waste collection calendar and register for reminders.
Access the waste collection system in two ways:
1. From any device and web browser, residents can visit the websites for Concord (concordnc.gov), Kannapolis (kannapolisnc.gov) or Cabarrus County (cabarruscounty.us) to use the entire suite of new tools, including:
- A real-time collection calendar linked to a home address
- Registration for waste collection reminders delivered by email, phone call and text message
- Collection schedule integration with iCal, Google calendar or Microsoft Outlook calendar formats
- Printable collection schedule
2. Download the new mobile app, CabConKan CARTology, for Apple or Android devices. Just search for CARTology in the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android). From the app, you can learn how to dispose of items, view your collection calendar and receive notifications.
As part of its Government 101 series, Cabarrus County plans to hold a daylong interactive workshop on recycling and solid waste on May 22 at the Government Center in Concord. To register for the free event, email email@example.com or call 704-920-2336.
For more information or to make a paint swap appointment at the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility, call 704-920-3209 or visit cabarruscounty.us.
Copyright ©2017 Cabarrus County