The Register of Deeds Office issues certified copies of birth, marriage or death certificates filed in Cabarrus County. These are only issued to the proper person or immediate family members. You must have identification when obtaining certified copies. A certified copy is $10 and an uncertified copy, sent by mail, is $1. The Register of Deeds Office accepts cash, check, Visa or Master Card.
Marriage licenses are issued from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. only.
Marriages in Cabarrus County started when the County was formed in 1792. Marriage bonds from 1792 - 1855 are located in the Department of Archives and History in Raleigh, with indexes to those bonds in the Register of Deeds Office. Originals from 1856 to present are found in the Cabarrus County Register of Deeds Office.
The Register of Deeds Office keeps copies of North Carolina birth and death records, which the State began recording in late 1913.
Out-Of-County Birth Certificate
The Register of Deeds Office is legally authorized by the State Registrar to issue copies of birth certificates from the Statewide Birth Database maintained by the NC Vital Records Office in Raleigh. This program enables this office to issue a certified abstract copy of a birth certificate for a person born anywhere in North Carolina from 1971 forward. You should not use this system if any of the following conditions apply to your request:
- The individual was born prior to 1971
- You don't have correct birth facts (name, birth year, mother's maiden name)
- The individual was adopted
- You want an image copy of the complete birth certificate rather than an abstract
- The individual's birth was registered as a delayed birth registration (more than one year after the fact of birth)
- Either or both parents listed on the certificate were born in a country other than the US, Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands or Cuba
- You are not willing to pay $24 for a search and one certified copy (each additional certified copy of the same certificate is $15)
In accordance with North Carolina General Statute 130-93.1(a) (1) , you will be charged $14 for each search in this system, whether the record is located or not. Furthermore, only the individual whose certificate is requested, his/her immediate family or a legal representative of any of those individuals may obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate. Anyone may obtain an uncertified copy.
If, after reading and understanding the above facts, you wish to request a certified or uncertified abstract copy of a birth certificate from the Statewide Birth Database, please contact The Cabarrus County Register of Deeds Office.
Questions or Comments
Copyright ©2017 Cabarrus County