Establishing Child Support

Establishing Child Support

In establishing support, a noncustodial parent must be located before any actions to establish paternity, support or enforcement can take place. We are able to access location information from both state and national computer databases to help with those efforts.

To establish support, a noncustodial parent is served with a complaint and civil summons. They can respond to these documents in the following ways:

  • Filing an answer to the complaint
  • Providing the necessary information to the child support office prior to the court date and signing a voluntary support order
  • Appearing at a hearing
  • Contacting an attorney for legal representation

If the noncustodial parent fails to appear following the complaint and criminal summons, the court may enter a child support order based on information provided in the complaint.

Stay Connected


Questions or Comments

Copyright ©2017 Cabarrus County