Marriage License Requirements
A Marriage License may be obtained in any NC county and be used anywhere in NC within 60 days. After the ceremony, the license must be returned to the issuing County. The cost of the license is $60.
Online Marriage License Application
- Fill out the online Marriage License Application.
- Follow instructions on the welcome page to complete and submit the Marriage License Application electronically to the Register of Deeds Office.
- Both applicants must physically come into the office within 15 days of submitting the electronic application to obtain the license.
When Visiting The Office
Marriage licenses are issued from 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. only. Arrive to the office by 4 p.m. so your license can be completed by 4:30.
One of the following is required to prove identity/birth date. ID must NOT be expired:
- Any State-issued ID card or driver’s license
- Military ID card
- Both applicants must come into the Register of Deeds office to apply for the marriage license.
- Identification presented cannot be expired
- Social security number required (we do not ask to see you social security card) or an affidavit of ineligibility
- Applicants must provide the month and year of their last divorce or death of spouse - if a divorce/death was within the last 30 days, a certified copy of the divorce judgment/death certificate is required
- With proper ID, persons age 18 and over may marry without parental consent.
- Persons ages 16 and 17 may marry with consent by the custodial parent or the person, agency or institution having legal custody or serving as guardian. Documents proving custody or guardianship are required along with proper ID and a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate. The parent signing for applicant must show picture ID
- Persons ages 14 and 15 may marry, but are required to have a court order allowing them to obtain a Marriage License in NC. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court's office to learn more about this procedure.
The Register of Deeds Office issues certified copies of marriage certificates filed in Cabarrus County only upon request. These are only issued to the proper person or immediate family members. You must have identification when obtaining certified copies. A certified copy is $10 and an uncertified copy, sent by mail, is $1. The Register of Deeds Office accepts cash, check, Visa or Master Card.
Questions or Comments
Copyright ©2017 Cabarrus County