Planning FAQs

Planning Frequently Asked Questions

Can I divide my property?

Maybe. Several factors must be considered when exploring dividing a property, including:

  • Zoning district
  • Current lot dimensions
  • Current acreage
  • Location of existing structures
  • New lot dimensions
  • New lot acreage
  • Possible support for a well and septic system
  • Road frontage
  • Water bodies located on the property
  • Regulated floodplain located on the property

If you are interested in dividing your property, it’s best to consult with a design professional to assess the area and applicable development standards to determine if division is possible.

There is a sign posted near to my property with a “Z” on it. What does that mean?

North Carolina General Statutes require noticing for various property actions, like requests to change the zoning classification or applications for special use permits. If you see one of these signs posted near your property, call the number on the sign for additional information about the proposal.

I received a letter in the mail about a Planning and Zoning Commission meeting where a public hearing will be held. What does this mean?

North Carolina General Statutes require public notice for various property actions. If you receive a letter from Cabarrus County Planning Staff, you most likely live next to, or across the street from, a site under consideration. The letter is to inform you of the proposal and provides you the opportunity to seek information in advance of the meeting. It also provides specific information about the meeting in case you want to attend and express support or opposition during the public hearing process.

What is the difference between a zoning district and a land use planning district?

Zoning districts are defined in detail in the Cabarrus County Development Ordinance (Ordinance). The Ordinance provides information about permitted uses, density and dimensional regulations, and development standards for the district. A land use planning district is a district described in a Small Area Plan or Land Use Plan. Land use planning districts are generally described and sometimes provide conceptual ideas for how a particular district or area could develop.

What is the difference between the Cabarrus County Development Ordinance and a Land Use Planning Document?

The Ordinance is adopted by the Board of Commissioners and is considered local law. The Ordinance applies to unincorporated properties only. Land Use Planning Documents are also adopted by the Board of Commissioners. These documents, however, serve as a guide for future development and establish conceptual ideas for how different areas of the county should develop and grow. These documents are often collaborative in nature, and may include long-range planning strategies for the city or town and county.

Is Cabarrus County responsible for monitoring soil and erosion control measures or stormwater on developed or developing sites? 

No. Complaints related to soil and erosion control measures or stormwater should be reported to the NC DEQ Mooresville Regional Office.

My street has potholes that need repair. Whom do I call? 

Cabarrus County does not build or maintain infrastructure such as roads. Roads in unincorporated Cabarrus County are privately maintained or maintained by NCDOT. Roads or streets located in municipalities are typically maintained by the municipality or by NCDOT. Check the status of a road by visiting the NCDOT Secondary Roads Database or the NCDOT State Maintained Network Map.

A stop sign is missing at the intersection near my house. Whom do I notify?

NCDOT is responsible for replacing regulatory traffic control signs, like stop signs and speed limit signs.

Is water and sewer available to develop my property? 

Cabarrus County Government does not build or maintain infrastructure. The Water and Sewer Authority of Cabarrus County is the wholesale provider for the county, and the municipalities are the retail providers. Contact the retail provider for the property area to learn more about utility availability.

Stay Connected


Questions or Comments

Copyright ©2022 Cabarrus County