Zoning/Enforcement FAQs

Zoning and Zoning Enforcement FAQ

Where can I find the development regulations for Cabarrus County?

The Cabarrus County Development Ordinance is available online. The ordinance applies to all properties in unincorporated Cabarrus County. If your property is located in one of the municipalities or in the extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) for one of the municipalities, you will need to visit their website for applicable development regulations.

How can I find the zoning designation for my property?

The Cabarrus County GIS Site allows you to search property records by owner name, address or parcel identification number (PIN). Basic information shows in the Property Data display. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this display screen for jurisdiction and zoning information. The site also has various digital data displays. Access the data by clicking “Explore Data” at the top of the screen. Then use the radio button to toggle the data on and off.

Am I required to have a plot plan or diagram of my residential property to submit for zoning permitting?

Yes. A plot plan or diagram of your property, along with the proposed improvements, must be submitted to show that the applicable standards for property development can be met. Setbacks, impervious area, required waterbody buffers, watershed standards and floodplain development standards are all reviewed based on the plot plan and any other information submitted.

How are property setbacks determined?

Setbacks are determined from the existing or proposed road right-of-way for the property. Existing road right-of-ways are available on the Cabarrus County GIS Site and can be measured using the measuring tool. Proposed right-of-ways are identified in the Cabarrus Rowan Metropolitan Planning Organization CTP Index. Be sure to check both these resources when designing your site. Keep in mind that the right-of-way area typically extends beyond the paved area for existing roads. The edge of the pavement is rarely the edge of the right-of-way.

Is Cabarrus Health Alliance approval required prior to a zoning permit being issued?

Yes. CHA approval is required for new systems prior to zoning permits being issued. CHA also makes site visits to check the location of existing systems to ensure proposed development projects will not impact existing systems or, in some cases, to make sure existing system capacity will support the proposed development project. Proposed projects include pools, structure additions, accessory buildings, accessory dwelling units and new construction. See the Septic System Site Evaluation site for additional information.

Are there impervious limits on site development?

Yes. The Cabarrus County Development Ordinance establishes maximum impervious standards based on the zoning designation and in some cases, the location of the property. See Chapter 5 for additional information. If the property is located in the regulated watershed area, additional development standards related to the impervious area in Chapter 4 apply.

Are there height restrictions on my property?

Yes. The Cabarrus County Development Ordinance establishes maximum height standards related to the zoning designation of the property. See Chapter 5 for additional information.

Do I need a permit to build or to place a shed, carport, garage or gazebo on my property?

Yes. Zoning permits are required to make sure that the proposed structures and site meet the applicable development standards. See Chapter 5 and Chapter 7 for additional information related to accessory structures. Building permits may also be needed, depending on the size of the structure.

Do I need a permit to install a pool on my property?

Yes. Zoning permits are required to make sure that the structures meet the applicable setback and development standards. See Chapter 5 and Chapter 7 for additional information related to pools.

Can I build an accessory dwelling unit on my property?

Maybe. The Ordinance does include allowances for accessory dwelling units to be constructed accessory to an existing primary structure if certain development standards are met. See Chapter 7 for additional information.

Do I need a permit from zoning to install a fence on my property?

No. A permit is not required, however, there are height restrictions for fences depending on placement on the property. See Chapter 6 for additional information.

What constitutes a zoning violation?

Zoning affects every structure and land use throughout Cabarrus County. Accordingly, “no structure shall be erected, reconstructed, moved or structurally altered, nor shall any structure or land be used except in compliance with both the general and any other applicable regulations of this Ordinance.” Use of a property where the Ordinance prohibits such use and/or where proper approvals have not been secured from the County is a violation.

I received a Notice of Violation (NOV) in the mail. What does that mean?

A Notice of Violation means that an Ordinance violation has been documented on your property. The NOV typically outlines steps for achieving compliance. It also includes contact information for the staff member processing the NOV. If you have questions about the NOV or how to achieve compliance, contact the named staff member.

Can zoning complaints be made anonymously?

Yes. Complaints can be called in to 704-920-2141.

Does Zoning staff enforce private covenants and deed restrictions, also known as CCRs or HOA restrictions, on properties?

No. Zoning staff only enforces the Cabarrus County Development Ordinance, which is adopted by the Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners.

Can I operate a small business from my home?

Maybe. Home occupation permit eligibility is based on the zoning designation of the property and other outlined development standards. Cabarrus County offers two different types of Home Occupation Permits: General and Rural. See Chapter 7 of the Cabarrus County Development Ordinance for additional information related to home occupations.

What department do I call to report a tall grass complaint?

Cabarrus County does not have a tall grass ordinance or tall grass regulations due to the rural nature of the county.

Can I live in a Recreational Vehicle (RV) in Cabarrus County?

No. RVs are intended and constructed to be used as temporary housing. Temporary occupancy of RVs is only permitted in designated areas, like campground facilities or manufactured home parks designed with county approved RV spaces.

Are junk vehicles allowed in Cabarrus County?

No. Junk vehicles are not permitted in any zoning district. Junk vehicles are only allowed as part of a properly permitted business where junk vehicles are part of the business.

Stay Connected


Questions or Comments

Copyright ©2022 Cabarrus County